posted to rec.boats.electronics
William Andersen

Default Garmin 172C cannot display current position in text format

Garmin's always answered my emails within a couple of days.
In the meantime, did you use the Comm Tab of the Main Menu to set Com 1 and
Com 2 to NMEA In/NMEA Out?

"Jean-Pierre Trolet" wrote in message
Hello,

I have e-mailed the problem to their tech support but as I read here
and there that they never answer....

In the owner's manual p.26 Garmin gives the list of data that can be
displayed in text format through alphabetical order :
- ....
- POINTER
- POSITION
- SONAR
- SPEED
- ....

When you actually run through the scrolling list you find

- ....
- POINTER
- SONAR
- SPEED
- ....

So there is no way to display the current position coordinates on any
page except by entering Mark and then deleting the waypoint thus
created, which is stupid.
Has anyone met the problem ?

A GPS that cannot display the position , that sounds downright
incredible !!

I checked that I have the latest software version : 2.50

Friendly
Jean-Pierre TROLET