Garth Almgren

Default Deregulated VHF, Ten Years After

Around 4/24/2006 12:45 AM, wrote:

According to the FCC, not only do we need a ship's radio station
license but we also need an individual Restricted Radiotelephone
Operator Permit if we plan to dock in any Canadian ports. That would
include most of us who travel north for summer cruising, but I
wouldn't be surprised to discover that few US boats in Canadian
waters are compliant with the ship's station licensing rules or that
very few boaters actually have an additional "individual license"
as the regulations require. Most of us aren't scrambling rescue
services with phony May Day broadcasts, monopolizing the emergency
frequency with chit-chat, or turning the air waves blue with profanity-
but more of us probably need to dig out that old FCC license and check
the expiration date before crossing into Canadian waters. More of us
are probably operating illegally that we realize.

whistling innocently

--
~/Garth - 1966 Glastron V-142 Skiflite: "Blue-Boat"
"There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing