Rich Hampel

Default Cleaning the hull

If Polyglow, etc. was such a wonderful product, why dont the boat
manufacturers/builders apply it to new boats? Please name one.

Certainly your rants a have a very strong commerical/profit tinge to
them.

In article , Mys Terry
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 20:59:31 GMT, "Roger Long" wrote:

"Mys Terry" wrote

Total baloney. Mine has not needed "removal" in 8 years. Every
spring I wash the
boat to get the dust off and wipe on two maintenance coats. My boat
always looks
like it is wet. Always.

Which product are you using? Is it something similar to the Poli Glow
that was being discussed here a while back?

BTW I suspect this is one of those situations where there is some
truth to both points of view depending on standards, situation, and
maintenance. I'm probably going to go to a wipe on coating because my
boat will probably need paint in five years anyway due to PO caused
damage. Looking at it closely, I think it may be a boat that came out
of the mold with surface problems and had a new gel coat applied
immediately. Buffing is also something I have to hire out.

I use poliglow. What Hampel wrote is the standard FUD rant used by boatyard
luddites who are losing income as people switch to PoliGlow and similar
products, and no longer need their services to compund and wax, which is very
labor intensive. I'd be willing to bet that he has no personal experience with
the product at all. If he does, then he is one of the folks who didn't follow
the clear and easy instructions.

The truth in this case is squarely to one side. The simple truth is that
poliglow works exactly as advertised if you follow the simple directions.
Question anyone who claims to have had a poor experience and carefully, and
without exception, they have "improvised" rather than follow the directions.
Forget everything you know about compounding and waxing when you use Poliglow.
If you apply "wax" knowlege to Poliglow, I agree that you will have problems.
I've heard of boatyards charging for untold hours of labor trying to remove
poliglow by compounding it. Pretty stupid, since the manufacturer specifically
tells you that that WILL NOT WORK. The manufacturer has a companion product
that
removes poliglow easier than you've ever removed a coat of wax. One other nice
advantage of Poliglow is that unlike wax, which pretty much sits on the
surface,
Poliglow fills in the pores of the gelcoat and really seals it to slow down or
stop oxidation. The air trapped under a coat of wax means your gelcoat
continues to oxidize and will need compounding again and again.

I have recommened Poliglow to a large number of people over the years and
have
never had a single complaint. I've never had anybody go back to wax, either. Not
a single one.