Don W

Default Cleaning the hull

Hi Roger,

I think that you are extrapolating based on the cost of
fixing a 9.14' x 1.5" gash in the bottom of your 32' boat
and _then_ re-gelcoating Note that the gash was entirely
through the fiberglass, not superficial. The only thing
that kept the boat from sinking was the inner hull.

I have no idea what the cost of spraying, leveling and
buffing the gelcoat would have been by itself, but I doubt
it would have been nearly as much.

How much do you expect to spend to have the hull sanded,
faired, epoxy primed, and then two coats of 2-part epoxy
paint professionally applied? I'll bet it doesn't come to
much difference by the time you're done, since much of the
labor is in the prep.

But I've been wrong before ;-)

Don W.

Roger Long wrote:

Gee, extrapolating up for size, that works out to over 1/3 of the
purchase price of our used 32 foot sailboat or, about the price of a
whole new set of sails, complete with the spinnaker we don't have.
Or, I could redo all the rigging, replace the plastic portlights with
metal, add a diesel heater and modify the engine cooling system for
late (freezing nights) season operation and have something left over
for more electronics.

In my world at least, that counts as a reason.