Don W

Default Cleaning the hull

Roger Long wrote:

I'm probably going to go to a wipe on coating because my
boat will probably need paint in five years anyway due to PO caused
damage. Looking at it closely, I think it may be a boat that came out
of the mold with surface problems and had a new gel coat applied
immediately. Buffing is also something I have to hire out.

When the old gel coat starts getting thin, why not just have
new gel coat sprayed on and buffed out? We hit a rock
with our power boat last year and had a 6' x 1" gash
repaired. As part of the repairs, they resprayed the entire
bottom of the boat with gel coat, sanded it smooth, and then
buffed it out. The cost on a 21' boat was not prohibitive
($3700 including the fiberglass repairs).

There may be a very good reason to not re-gelcoat, but it
eludes me at the moment.

Don W.