Rick Morel

Default Air compressor for hull cleaning

On 20 Apr 2006 12:29:35 -0700, "BajaJim" wrote:

Am wondering if anyone has set up a small air compressor rig, 110V,
similar to the ones used by divers for hull cleaning services. I assume
just a small oil-less compressor and couple it directly to a stock dive
regulator? I only need it dockside in a marina with 30A seervice.

I've been using a diaphram type compressor for about 28 years. I think
they call them "pancake" compressors now. Totally oilless, using a
rubber diaphram. About 30 PSI max. It came with a 117 VAC motor, belt
driven. I replaced the motor with a 12 VDC wheel chair motor for
live-aboard use (take off the gear box and fit a pulley).

Get an "old" regulator. Take off the 1st stage and disable the 2nd
stage so you get free-flow. I bought some fittings/adapters so I use
regular water hose as an air hose.

If one wants to go this route, and have it run at 12 volts, a good
"motor" to drive it is an original VW bug GENERATOR. Not an
alternator. Connect the F (Field) terminal to the B (Battery)
terminal. This is the +. The - goes to the case or ground terminal.
This will draw about the same current as the wheel chair motor, about
10A, and give plenty of power.

Rick

Absolute safety is a concept promoted by those
without the guts to live in the real world.