posted to rec.boats.building
Richard J Kinch

Default Air Compressor For Dockside Work

Glenn Ashmore writes:

If I want to use it for breathable air I have a charcoal filter and
oil coalescing filter that plug into the outlet. That is the same
type arrangement I have used for years on my big shop compressor for
my MSA air-line respirator when spraying LPU. The big shop compressor
is an oil type so there is an additional moisture separator and
coalescing filter and an extra 40 gallon settling tank in the line.

All that filtering and coalescing is just wishful thinking without (1) a
refrigerated dryer ahead of the filters, and (2) a way to monitor filter
condition. A "moisture separator" is kind of a lie, because raw compressed
air is saturated and condensing as it moves down the line, including after
the so-called "separator".

The typical charcoal filter application is worse than no filter at all,
because it is left in long after it is spent, being difficult to monifor
and expensive to replace. False security in breathing air.