Rosalie B.

Default How to glue Avon hypalon registration sticker 'mounting plate' to Zodiac PVC boat?

wrote:

I bought a pair of Avon 'registration mounting plates', Avon part
number #N00074 (and West Marine SKU #400499), and would like to glue
them on to my Zodiac (which is made of PVC). The mounting plates are
made of hypalon. Has anybody actually done this? If so, what glue did
you use, and how good were your results?

Our registration plates are detachable - they are tied on to the dink.
I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to put a solid plate on a
flexible part of the dinghy where it can inflate and deflate. If I
didn't have the plates attached more loosely than glued on, I'd put
the numbers directly on the dink.

Avon suggested using their two-part hypalon glue to do the trick, but
paying over $40 just for glue, on top of over $20 for the mounting
plates, is hard to swallow. I would hate to pay that much for glue only
to have the mounting plates fail to make a strong bond to the PVC.

I have seen a rec.boats.cruising post from a few years back that
mentioned that the one-part hypalon glue doesn't even stick to the
mounting plates, so that is a non-starter. A different post mentioned
that there is a less-expensive two-part glue called Rema Tip Top
SC-2000 that works on hypalon, but whether it will also adhere to the
PVC fabric is unknown (I may try contacting the company directly to see
if they can advise me). I haven't yet found a dealer for the SC-2000,
but I'll ask the company about that, too.

So, has anybody actually done this and gotten acceptable results?

grandma Rosalie