posted to rec.boats.building
Evan Gatehouse

Default Sailboat hydrolized hull repair

Marco wrote:
"Evan Gatehouse" wrote:

It is not impossible to work overhead with moderate sizes of 300 gm
biaxial. I've done it a fair bit on my current project.

A few tricks:

- wet out cloth on a plastic coated horizontal table with resin

You mean plastic film to be rolled on pvc pipe together with cloth to help
the unrolling?

No. Cover a table with polyethylene plastic to provide a surface that
is smooth and doesn't absorb extra resin. Any extra resin gets
absorbed by the next batch of cloth. Table can be a piece of plywood
on sawhorses next to the hull.

CUT...

Good luck. It is an ugly job but it is possible. Wash the hull down
with lots of fresh water and solvent like xylene. Then I would also
make sure the hull is covered with plastic and a dehumidifier is used
for a few weeks before starting.

The dehumidifier is already running... :-)

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions, I would thinking to wet the hull
with plain
epoxy and wait until it becomes sticky. Do you believe it will be useful or
not?

Yes, but it becomes a bit of a challenge to get on the cloth before
the epoxy passes into the gel stage. In other words, you can roll
lots of epoxy onto the hull easily but it takes significant time to
wet out the cloth and apply it. I wouldn't try to do the whole hull
in one day.

Marco