posted to rec.boats.building
John Cassara

Default Air Compressor For Dockside Work

The air delivered must be oil free to USP standards. Even the slightest
trace of oil can cause respiratory problems. The other problem is with the
regulators. A scuba regulators 1st stage will cut the tank pressure down to
about 115 psi to 500 psi depending upon brand. the 2nd stage the reduces the
pressure to a few psi over ambient pressure. With each 33 feet of depth the
ambient pressure increases by 1 atmosphere. The typical craftsman air
compressor will be marginal in its ability to deliver air to a surface diver
and inadequate in delivery to a diver at any depth. If you eliminate the
first stage and just deliver air to the second stage you will overcome the
high pressure problem but will have a poor performing regulator from an
inconsistent delivery pressure.

A scuba set-up the best way to go. It's simpler and more reliable. You will
need all the other equipment any way, Wet Suit, Buoyancy device, Weight
belt, Mask and maybe fins or rock boots. You will have an easier time
working un-tethered and will be safer, less likely to become entangled.

John

"derbyrm" wrote in message
I once had a diaphragm compressor which produced air that was oil free. I
don't remember the CFM (it ran an air brush), but why would such a device
be harmful?

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"John Cassara" wrote in message
NO!!! You can not use a standard compressor for breathable air. At the
very least you must filter the air and run an oil separator. There is a
reason a dive compressor such as a Hooka cost as much as they do. The air
that is delivered is going into your lungs! If your marina has enough
call for a diver why not hire one. A properly equipped diver will have
greater versatility than a Hooka diver. Even for the very occasional need
a local diver would probably love an excuse to go diving while earning a
buck or two.

John

"BajaJim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Am wondering if anyone has set up a small air compressor rig, 110V,
similar to the ones used by divers for hull cleaning services. I assume
just a small oil-less compressor and couple it directly to a stock dive
regulator? I only need it dockside in a marina with 30A seervice.
THANKS for any input