posted to rec.boats.electronics
GregS

Default Changing VHF antenna location...?

In article , Bruce in Alaska wrote:
In article . net,
"Ted" wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a small sail boat (26') used for coastal cruising. It
would probably never be beyond 25 miles from the shore
line (maximum) and normally no more than 1 to 3 miles.

At present... it has a 1/2 wave Shakespeare mounted about
5 feet above the water line on a stern rail.

My question is...

Would I be *much* better off... moving the antenna to the top
of the mast...

No.

There would be a small improvement but I don't think you would even notice.

I recommend you leave the antenna where it is and if you ever have an
emergency be sure to point your sailboat (if you can) so that the boat is
not between the antenna and the shore. If you are disabled and adrift off
shore then occasionally your boat will not be between your antenna and
shore. These are the best times to call for help but by all means, call for
help constantly until someone hears you. If you are out of sight from shore
then I recommend you get an epirb.

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html

I also recommend you keep a cell phone aboard. I have found it to be much
more handy than marine vhf radios.

With both Marine VHF and Cellular Service, you are looking at the maximum
range of transmission being determined by LOS (line of sight) plus a
extending factor of signal bending, which is Frequency dependant, and
which is maybe 5 to 10% more, which makes up the Radio Horizon. USCG

I would say this is definately for reliable transmission.
I always get cellular service around 60 mi up at lake Erie. Its hard not to
keep out of the Canadian stations on the US side, in fact its hard to get in the US
sites on the US side from the coast. I always think of an article or rig named Puddle Jumper.
This was a 2 meter superregen rig, mabe by Heathkit, not
sure. They talked about talking out over one of the Great Lakes I always think of this.
Of course, heat and cold air over the lake do wonderfull things.

greg