Dennis Pogson

Default Cleaning the hull

Keith wrote:
The above sounds good, but I'd try just buffing with 3m's brown
compound first, then Finesse-it to see if it brings back the shine you
want. I've brought back some pretty bad hulls that way. I only use
Collinite Fleetwax paste wax as well. Works very well and lasts a long
time. Don't get these compounds at the marine store though... you can
get them for half that price on the web. The place I get mine is:
http://www.autobodydepot.net

Most auto-restorers use Farecla or something similar, applied with a
man-sized electric polisher.
This will bring up the bare gelcoat prior to polishing with whatever takes
your fancy, it's hard work, but worth it. I wouldn't put wet 'n dry of any
grade anywhere near my gelcoat unless a repair had made this necessary. The
auto-shops are bristling with all manner of polishes at half the price of
so-called boat polish, and there are rather more cars than boats, so take
advantage of the research and development they carry out all the time. Ask a
body shop what they use! I use Mir!

DP