posted to rec.boats.building
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Default Sailboat hydrolized hull repair

"Marco" wrote in message
oups.com...
Working with epoxy, I would like to here from us some opinions about
differents approch:

1) Add two or three layer of 300 gr/sqmt biassial 45-/-45,but I know
the difficult
or the impossibility to work "overhead" due to the cloth weight.

I've re-cored deck section from underneath with a heavy "roving" - that
thick real corse weave stuff. 24 oz/square yard - I'll let you do the
conversion. :-)

I used a "general purpose" epoxy (West Systems 105/205 ) - it took some
effort to get the cloth in place, but once it was up overhead, it stayed in
place on it's own. I would think that a "laminating resin" would not be as
sticky and would not work as well overhead.

My suggestion is to buy a small quantity of the cloth and experiment with it
to be sure it will work for you. If it sticks to the hull without too much
effort, you are ready to get the job done. If not, you won't have any
problem getting it off, and you can try something else.

2) Use more layers of lighter glass cloth (150 gr/sqmt).would it be an
easier job?

Don't know.

3) vacuum bagging, but... is it possible to do it "overhead" ? How?

Possible, sure. Necessary, I doubt it.

4) dismanting,remove the keel,engine etc.etc. and flip the boat but I
have to do a lot of

I don't think this is at all necessary.

Last,I have to work in outdoor enviroment.

Don't we all?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com