posted to rec.boats.building
Marco

Default Sailboat hydrolized hull repair

Hi all from Italy...
due to severe hydrolysis of all the originally low saturated external
mat of my 27" sailboat, I went to "scrape" it off by hands with chisel
(a very hard job!!)
I mostly removed all the mat until the first layer of cloth.
The hull is stucturally countermoulded,so the the hull itself is not
very thick,and it needs to be relaminated to the original thickness.
Asked around boatyards,skilled DIY,experts,everyone has the "right" and
valid solution :-))
I discarded polyester or vinilester due to poor adesion.
Working with epoxy, I would like to here from us some opinions about
differents approch:

1) Add two or three layer of 300 gr/sqmt biassial 45-/-45,but I know
the difficult
or the impossibility to work "overhead" due to the cloth weight.

2) Use more layers of lighter glass cloth (150 gr/sqmt).would it be an
easier job?

3) vacuum bagging, but... is it possible to do it "overhead" ? How?

4) dismanting,remove the keel,engine etc.etc. and flip the boat but I
have to do a lot of
work and not sure if the boatyards will cooperate,as they never
done it before.

Last,I have to work in outdoor enviroment.

Thanks for any suggestion.
Ciao from Roma,Italy
Marco