trainfan1

Default fuel/oil mixture - 1973 evinrude

Jeff Jones wrote:

can anyone tell me what the correct mixture is for a 1973 50 hp evinrude
is?

please reply to post or e-mail at

thanks,

Jeff

Don't bother with high test gas... it could cause cause starting &
idling problems as there is usually an additive package included that
just isn't required for an outboard. The minimum octane rating for 1973
Evinrudes is 80.

The required oil is mixed 1 part in 50 to the gas (1 pint to a 6.25
gallon outboard tank - yes there is a little extra room intentionally in
OMC tanks) and the engine requires TCW-2 or better oil. The oil cost is
such a small percentage of the operating costs with a boat, so don't be
unnecessarily cheap... get the good stuff (name brand, eg., TCW-3) by
the gallon for economy (will serve 8 full tanks)

A little extra oil is OK (my portable cans are 5.7 gallons, so I put a
pint in to mix up boat gas) but don't run it any leaner.

Rob