posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wet-n-Wild Bill

Default ICOM-M802 SSB

Thanks guy for the info! Since the M802 is HF along with the DSC. What coud
i do for a receiving antenna?

My boat which is all aluminum makes a great ground plane. On the Xmit/Rec
side i'm planning on a 23' whip. As for the DSC REC antenna, can i use a
shorter antenna, what options do i have to run a long wire, can i lay it in
an insulated surface in a zigzag pattern. Or must it be pulled straight from
the balun?

Bill

"Larry" wrote in message
"Wet-n-Wild Bill" wrote in
m:

If i opt to only use one antenna for thr Autotuner AT-140. Will i be
able to use the DSC function of my radio? if so with what linitations?

Nope. M802 requires one transmitting antenna through the autotuner and
another receiving antenna for its separately-scanning DSC receiver. Ours
on Lionheart is hooked up to the handrail bolt through the toerail. It
was
cheap and dirty as there's no room for another antenna, like a whip, that
wouldn't be in the way of sailing it. I was going to change it, but it
works just fine, what little actual HF DSC traffic is ever transmitted for
it to receive.

If you don't hook up the 2nd receive antenna, you won't have HF DSC
receive
scanner capability.

DO NOT TRY TO PUT A COAX T INTO THE TRANSMIT LINE AND BLOW THE HELL OUT OF
IT! I've seen two stupids, already, who did. It isn't pretty at 150
watts
into the DSC receiver...