posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ted

Default AIS ship data: everibody have seen this? - why do we use GPS to track buoys??

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Ted wrote:

I don't put much faith in the cry of the geezers about the undisputed
reliability of the simple magnetic compass and the paper map. I don't
believe that most of them even go boating. They just sit on the internet
and run their mouth.

..why I don't have much patience for geezers who ignorantly sing the
praises of paper maps as the be-all and end-all in marine navigation and
why I don't believe that most of them have ever been to sea.

You seem a little fixated on older people and people that use charts.

You haven't been paying attention. I'm a little impatient with geezers who
lecture the maritime world about how they believe that paper maps are the
end-all and be-all of navigation. I have listened to them rant and fuss
over the demise of paper maps for over ten years and its getting old. I use
paper maps myself but never feel the need to lecture the world about paper
maps are the greatest thing that ever will be. I have not yet seen a young
person behaving like a geezer. Its always an older person who has fallen
behind the times and feels threatened by that fact. Its also very often an
overweight older person who is no longer participating in the activity he is
lecturing about. It brings new meaning to the old saying: those who can, do,
and those who can't, teach. (or in this case, lecture)

Take notice of the subject line of this thread. Buoys clutter the chart and
provide a dangerous collision hazard on the water. We have put up with this
hazard for years because in the past we needed buoys. With the arrival of
GPS, they should be removed.

http://www.california-car-accident-l...s/pic_boat.jpg