posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ted

Default AIS ship data: everibody have seen this? - why do we use GPS to track buoys??

"Larry" wrote in message
"Ted" wrote in news:zN40g.2472$An2.2251
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I was making the point that GPS navigation does not require buoys.

AT some point in the future, when the wireless technology exists where
your chartplotter will connect with the mapping agency for all the
updates, every time you turn it on (sort of like Windows Update does when
you turn your laptop on)...at that point, I would agree...

Better yet, users of the map data could mark locations on the water as they
arrive where the map appears to be incorrect or they could mark a new found
hazard not yet shown on the chart and that information gets uploaded back to
the mapping agency for dissemination in the form of mariner reports until
the problem can be investigated, confirmed and the map officially updated.