posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ted

Default AIS ship data: everibody have seen this? - why do we use GPS to track buoys??

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Ted wrote:

snip
I don't put much faith in the cry of the geezers about the undisputed
reliability of the simple magnetic compass and the paper map. I don't
believe that most of them even go boating. They just sit on the internet
and run their mouth.

snip
..why I don't have much patience for geezers who ignorantly sing the
praises of paper maps as the be-all and end-all in marine navigation and
why I don't believe that most of them have ever been to sea.

Thanks for the details. You seem a little fixated on older people and
people that use charts. I have nothing against either one of those
groups.

When I go to sea it is usually to deliver someone else's boat and my focus
is to do it without damaging the boat or getting lost. I usually have at
least three frames of reference available for navigation and I use them
all. But I never put my trust in any one of them exclusively.

Jack, the subject line says "...why do we use GPS to track buoys??"
Do you use your GPS to navigate to buoys?
With how many of them have you collided?

Coastal Maine is not a good place for relying on one thing, I like the
warm fuzzy feeling I got when I have two or three things telling me that I
probably am where I think I am.

Between the navaids, the chartbook, and the GPS chart plotter, I'm the
only one that has to be right all of the time.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA - jackerbes at adelphia dot net
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine.com)