posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

Default difference between DSC and AIS?

In article et,
"Ted" wrote:

What?

Here is a DSC equipped radio for $105 on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tegory=31275&i
tem=4582047129&sspagename=mem_guide%3A3

Here is a DSC radio at west marine for $159

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...1/-1/10001/148
723/10001/3001/0/3000

What is your idea of an "exorbitant" price????

Also, I am told that DSC is a digital CALLING mode only. The actual voice
conversation happens not on channel 70 but on a standard VHF marine analog
voice channel.

Tom, Larry is talking about the "Totalitly" of DSC, not the very small
Subset, of DSC that is implimented in the radio's you are tallking about.
I would guess that if you were to research the cost of a Full Blown Class
A DSC VHF Radio System, you would consider the price involved,
"exorbitant", in the extreme. What you have been "told" is a very
small subset of the DSC capabilites that were designed into this
antiquated 1980's technology foisted on the ITU/IMO by the Europeans.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @