Luc

Default Insurance early warning?

I pay about $330 for Allstate insurance on a 40 footer. My last boat,
a 27 footer, I paid slightly less for. I made a claim when I dismasted,
and Allstate came through and treated me fairly. I was pleased it
worked at all. Mostly, I carry insurance for liability, and for
medical to help those that might get hurt. Sure, it's great to get
compensated for the loss of your boat, but if it's your own fault,
well, take some responsibility.

However much I like Allstate Insurance, I'm farily certain they will
not insure in the hurricane "box" during that season. But then who
wants to be there during that season anyway?

As far as the political debate regarding gubmint vs private, any
organization that is HUGE is likely slow to respond. I've heard endless
complaints about the government, some of which are quite valid. On the
other hand, there are tons of private corporations that suck big time
too, can't get out of their own way, lousy customer service, etc. So I
think it's more about size and organization than Government Vs Private
Sector.