posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney

Default engine monitoring with raymarine and crusader engines?

I think the OP's point was that the raymarine e series accepts the
input from 'standard' NMEA 2000 and displays the stuff on the screen
without the need for another display so you dont need the e80 and a
laptop.

I want to use my E-80 to monitor the engines and fuel. I'm also
hoping/expecting that I might also be able to extract at least some of that
same data ot my laptop, currently connected via NMEA-0183. The latter being
something I'd expect might require an extra interface as -0183 is slower
than -2000.

Regardless, I'd prefer to avoid duplicating sensors. The boat's already got
analog gauges monitoring everything but the fuel flow. I'd expect to add
fuel flow sensors, unless the fuel injection/engine management system can
provide this data. But I'd certainly want to avoid attaching all new oil,
temp, rpm and alternator sensors AND their wiring. If it means 'tapping
into' the wires currently feeding the analog gauges that's not an
unreasonable solution, providing it's not horrendously overpriced.

The reason I have both the laptop AND the e-80 is I prefer to layout routes
on the PC and do other work on it. That and the e-80 works better in
sunlight and wet weather.

-Bill Kearney