Rosalie B.

Default Beneteau vs Hunter

wrote:

I am shopping for a new cruising sailboat.
My eyes are set on a 34.3 Beneteau and 33 Hunter both have in mast furling.

I wouldn't really want either of these as a cruising sailboat if you
mean anything other than coastal cruising. Of the two, the Beneteau
would probably be better.

The specifications shows that they are build to CE A and equipped with front
opening frig. I never had any furling gears before let alone the in mast

Front opening frig is not an efficient use of energy, although it is
nicer for the cook and easier to find things. Every time you open the
door, all the cold air spills out onto the floor.

furling. All I have on my old sailboat is top loading icebox and a tiller.
As for the wheel, going around it does not leave you much space for quick
reactions. The folding wheel is one option but is it good? From what I can
see you can only fold the wheel when at anchor or maybe on a long tack? I
could benefit from any comments and feedback.

TIA

We have behind the mast furling - have only been at the dock next to
boats with in mast furling, and they were terribly noisy if the wind
was from an appropriate direction.

We were in West End (Grand Bahama) waiting to cross and the sailboat
next to us had in mast furling. The wind was from the NE and their
mast was making a loud irritating whistling noise. That night I said
to Bob - if their mast stops whistling, we'll know the wind has
shifted to the south and we can go. And it did, so we did.

It is possible to get something called a whistle stopper to close off
the mast slot but apparently most people don't bother.

I am not familiar with the folding wheel, but I'm pretty sure that you
don't fold it unless you aren't moving. It sounds like it is just to
give you more room to eat or sleep in the cockpit.

What kind of reactions are you going to need to have that you think
the wheel will inhibit? At least on our boat, sail handling is
usually done by someone other than the person at the wheel. In our
case, Bob hands the steering over to me, and he takes care of the
sails.

grandma Rosalie