posted to rec.boats.building
Martin Schöön

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 22:03:32 +0000, derbyrm wrote:

"Martin Schöön" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 12:20:23 +0000, derbyrm wrote:

Because you'll have to add more lead below the waterline to keep the
weedy side of the boat down?

snip

Actually, I'm picturing a boat at anchor in a chop (as someone mentioned)
with the rudder banging up and down as the water comes and goes. Noise is
BAD.

Only of the rudder *just* floats or the pitching is really bad but then
even a heavy rudder would jump on its pintles.

Why would you want to make it lighter?

Because it is possible.
Because less weight in the ends means less pitching.

Is this that monster rudder we aren't talking about? Where do you stow your
anchor and chain?

Alu anchor here. It is actually lighter than one of my rudder
blades if memory serves. Both anchor and 5 m of chain are in
in a forward locker (ca. 2 m from bow) though :-(

Because lighter is faster.

In light airs. In a chop, weight keeps you going. Sail planes carry water
ballest for better speed and range.

My boat is not a sail plane is your?
Sure, in some combinations of wind and waves I might go faster
if heavier - maybe once every three years.

/Martin