posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

You can check out the bottom most pictures at
http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm/Chebacco.html to see what I'm dealing
with. I guess I could put a collar on the rudder shaft below the cross
piece, but it adds complexity while my solution is simpler. I replaced the
specified SS tube with PVC and want to get back toward the designed weight.
That should be $$ based on my shopping for a three foot length of 2" 316
Stainless, PCB's recommendation.

Even a short (20 to 30 foot) length of chain adds a lot of weight. It's
there to increase holding power at limited scope and to limit the ground
debris' damage to the rode. The real cruisers, manly and womanly, favor all
chain rode.

Stowage amidships has been done, but it's a really difficult thing to do
well. Put it amidships and you've diced the cabin with the hawse tube. Put
it to one side and, over time, one of your legs gets shorter.

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"DSK" wrote in message
derbyrm wrote:
Well, maybe, but we're talking about adding a couple of pounds to a 1500
pound boat. The "pintle" is not the ordinary rowboat stern device, and
there's no place for a latch.

If there's no place on the stern for a latch, that suggests that there's
no stern. This idea might work and also look salty, a short rope strop
tensioned (slightly) upward from the stern to a cleat on the rudder cheek.

For pitching moment, I'm a lot more concerned with the chain portion of
the anchor rode which will be stowed in the very bow.

Also a bad idea IMHO. Why not stow it amidships? Why carry so much chain
in the first place? Because it's manly?

Mr. Fox seems to disagree with Phillip C. Bolger. In "Thirty Odd Boats"
PCB, commenting on Herreshoff's Rosinante suggests that "half the weight
in that 3000 lb. keel is to give the boat momentum."

If we could get the two together, I'm sure it would be an interesting
discussion. In any case, the weight fo the Rozinante keel is really there
for righting moment. Momentum may be a benefit in some situations, a
detriment in others. If the same righting moment could be had with less
weight (all else being equal), you can be assured that a designer of L.F.
Herreshoff's caliber (or Bolger's, he's certainly no slouch) would jump on
it.

DSK