posted to rec.boats.building
DSK

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

derbyrm wrote:
Well, maybe, but we're talking about adding a couple of pounds to a 1500
pound boat. The "pintle" is not the ordinary rowboat stern device, and
there's no place for a latch.

If there's no place on the stern for a latch, that suggests
that there's no stern. This idea might work and also look
salty, a short rope strop tensioned (slightly) upward from
the stern to a cleat on the rudder cheek.

For pitching moment, I'm a lot more concerned with the chain portion of the
anchor rode which will be stowed in the very bow.

Also a bad idea IMHO. Why not stow it amidships? Why carry
so much chain in the first place? Because it's manly?

Mr. Fox seems to disagree with Phillip C. Bolger. In "Thirty Odd Boats"
PCB, commenting on Herreshoff's Rosinante suggests that "half the weight in
that 3000 lb. keel is to give the boat momentum."

If we could get the two together, I'm sure it would be an
interesting discussion. In any case, the weight fo the
Rozinante keel is really there for righting moment. Momentum
may be a benefit in some situations, a detriment in others.
If the same righting moment could be had with less weight
(all else being equal), you can be assured that a designer
of L.F. Herreshoff's caliber (or Bolger's, he's certainly no
slouch) would jump on it.

DSK