posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

Well, maybe, but we're talking about adding a couple of pounds to a 1500
pound boat. The "pintle" is not the ordinary rowboat stern device, and
there's no place for a latch.

For pitching moment, I'm a lot more concerned with the chain portion of the
anchor rode which will be stowed in the very bow.

Mr. Fox seems to disagree with Phillip C. Bolger. In "Thirty Odd Boats"
PCB, commenting on Herreshoff's Rosinante suggests that "half the weight in
that 3000 lb. keel is to give the boat momentum."

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm

"DSK" wrote in message
derbyrm wrote:
I'm planning on adding lead ballast to my rudder stock to keep the
assembly firmly on the pintle. (After I trim the bottom half inch of the
stock off).

"The only vehicle that benefits from added weight is a steamroller" -Uffa
Fox

You should consider a latch to hold the rudder on it's pintles. There are
a number of quite simple & effective ones available off the shelf.

Making it heavier will increase loads on the pintles & gudgeons, on the
transom, will change the balance of the boat & make it pitch more, and if
the boat is ever in enough motion or at such an attitude that the weight
is no longer pulling straight down, you have lost all benefit and kept the
negatives.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King