Default Saga of the Wayward Laser

I tried not to blame them too much as I think they did have a good time
until they realized they had screwed up by going out in open water and
I do want them to sail more.
You are correct, we have never sailed a Laser or towed small boats.
In 20years of sailing and running aground nearly every day I go out
(normal for these parts), I have never needed to be towed off so I had
no idea of what the concerns of the towing boat might be. As far as
kedging off, I had my nesting dinghy on deck but had left the dock so
quickly I had left the oars behind so was unable to set anchor to pull
off. This was going to be what I was going to have the power boat do
if towing off didnt work.
I think the MiniCups may have given my son ( a known risk taker, unlike
his dad) too much confidence.
BTW, the Laser was half filled with water when finally hoisted onto the
dock. I think the mast step may be cracked. This Laser has not been
sailed in 10 yrs at least and I had to replace all of its hardware.
So, after looking over the torn sail, I will try to find a used one on
e-bay.
In retrospect, I get a good laugh out of the fiasco and tell my son
that it is the fiascoes we remember with fondness years later, nobody
remembers the perfect trips. Fortunately, the water felt nice, not
cold.

Thanks Doug.