posted to rec.boats.building
DSK

Default making a rudder - this may be a stupid question but.........

derbyrm wrote:
I'm planning on adding lead ballast to my rudder stock to keep the assembly
firmly on the pintle. (After I trim the bottom half inch of the stock off).

"The only vehicle that benefits from added weight is a
steamroller" -Uffa Fox

You should consider a latch to hold the rudder on it's
pintles. There are a number of quite simple & effective ones
available off the shelf.

Making it heavier will increase loads on the pintles &
gudgeons, on the transom, will change the balance of the
boat & make it pitch more, and if the boat is ever in enough
motion or at such an attitude that the weight is no longer
pulling straight down, you have lost all benefit and kept
the negatives.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King