Roger Long

Default Biodiesel and Volvo Penta Marine engine

I looked into this because I though it would be nice to be have the
smell of peanuts or French fries in a following wind instead of city
bus. I was told, I'm not sure how authoritatively, that the biodiesel
will cause problems for rubber parts. I tried to find out how many of
those there are in my fuel system but couldn't.

Later, when we were getting the engine degunked after sitting for six
years with fuel in it and in the tank (things brokers don't tell you),
we found that the fuel pump diaphragm had dissolved into mush. It
looks like rubber. If regular diesel would do that to it over time, I
suspect that it's something you would want to investigate carefully
before using biodiesel.

--

Roger Long

"cvj" wrote in message
news
Our local fuel dock now offers 100% biodiesel fuel. I am wondering
if I would run into any problems using this in a Volvo Penta Diesel
circa 1989?

I am aware that I will need to clean the fuel filter once the
biodiesel dissolves some of the "gunk" left by the regular diesel
fuel.

Any thoughts/comments will be most appreciated.

cvj