Gary

Default replacing forward cockpit drain hose, valves, ranger 26

Jere Lull wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Hi Bob, yeah that's the case here, these drains are basically bottom of
the boat , most definitely below the waterline. Boat is on the hard, on
the cradle, so no concerns about doing this while afloat.

I'd spring for what's called a seacock, but it's just a ball valve with
a base. Among other things, they sit lower.

Definitely use teflon tape on the threads so you can take it apart for
rebedding a decade or two from now.

I'd spring for better hose than the clear reinforced. Don't even
consider the clear stuff.

I had a Ranger 26 and replaced all this stuff. Mine came with gate
valves and needed upgrading. I put ball valves and reinforced hose on.
The surveyor told me about a fellow who put The black PVC pipe on and
it leaked constantly because it didn't flex when the boat worked. I
would avoid anything too solid for that reason. Take the time to
replace the drains in the cockpit at the same time. They are not large
enough and the screens on them slow draining down a lot.

By the way, I filled the cockpit in my R26 during a spin wipeout. Good
drains, open valves and a secured lowest hatch washboard are the order
of the day.

Gary