posted to rec.boats.building
Jim

Default info on '69 Pacemaker TriCabing motor cruiser

tillius wrote:
Jim wrote:

No matter what, it's not a good purchase.

Care to elaborate? I mean, if it's the whole "A boat is a hole in the
water you pour money down", ok.

But if it's something else about that boat...?

Till

Ok, I was a little bit harsh.

A wood hull is a challenge for a lot of reasons. Wood Pacemakers had a
problem with frames. Maybe the hull was a little lightly built.

If you know what problems wood hulls develop over the years, you can see
the problems easily. Most Pacemakers I see have these problems.

I would suggest a competent survey, because a serious problem could not
be cost effective to take on. And I would be willing to bet there's a
problem somewhere.

So, what do you have here? Two very thirsty gas engines (30 gallons an
hour each, at $4 a gallon = a lot of money an hour to run), and a wooden
hull that is not known for longevity.

The hull is full of old plumbing, wiring, tanks. I don't see how it
could not be a bigger project than you could ever imagine.

Whatever the cost of a competent survey, it could be the best money you
will ever spend.

A lot of marinas won't accept a wood boat, and insurance would be required.

Thanks for listening.