JohnH

Default What education?

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:08:01 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:25:21 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

I wish someone would explain to me why this is true, and exactly what's
happened since I left high school in 1970. It's rather depressing.

You don't know depressing until you deal with the lack of student
preparation on a daily basis.

And it is true because some politicians ran on a, "them unions and
teacher's is scum" platform. Now, with politically correct
"accountability," administrators can "prove" "success" through test
scores. The average person thinks these tests are helpful..... they
aren't.

Just goes to show that whether one wishes to be dishonest or not...
figures don't lie, but liars can figure....

The biggest difference between the graduating class of 1970 and today
is that the administration of the classrooms (from 1958-1970 for
example) was handled by the classroom teacher and she/he was given the
mandate that the student learn the course content. They knew their job
and they went about discipline and teaching with an eye towards
student success. They had administrative support from principals that
had intestinal fortitude.

Today that power is concentrated in the offices of administration and
judged by "standardized" norms.... which, by the way, we can now prove
doesn't work by the figures demonstrating a miserably low rate of
student preparedness..... but if we only look at those test scores,
we're doing a great job.....

They were also supported by parents who gave a damn. Discipline, in my
county's schools, is not a teacher prerogative. The teachers write a
'referral' which goes to the principal. The principal determines the
punishment, if any.

To imply there is no place for standardized tests makes no sense. There are
good tests and bad. If I am testing high school seniors with an 8th grade
level test, I'm obviously doing something stupid.
--
'Til next time,

John H

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****