posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska

Default VHF Antenna Recomendation

In article ,
(GregS) wrote:

When I was in the Army, I would test my transmitter/antenna system
out by touching the antenna to get a burn and I think I learned that from
others, don't
remember. If it burned, then it was OK. The antenna was a 1/4 wave vertical
and transmitted
to the Northrop drone planes. I later made a separate box to have a lamp
indicator
when placed near the antenna. The hing was, there was no indiction on the
transmitter
if a cable connection was bad.

When I was on a Carnival cruise in 1986, I ventured up to the radio room.
Took me back,
I saw a man using a bug or some kind of key, sending CW. The antenna
wire came out of the rack, up the wall, along side of which was a light bulb
flashing in tune with
the CW. I thought it was pretty neat.

greg

For SOLAS Inspected vessels an RF Indicator is part of the Required
Equipment for each Transmitter. This is a device that indicates that RF
Energy is present at the Antenna Port of the transmitter. I learned
very early in my career that an NE2 Neon Light taped to the antenna
just above the antenna tuner, would light up, when the transmitter was
in operation. These cost $.20 each, and the FCC Inspectors would accept
them, as fullfilling that requirement. For VHF's however, we always
used the Radio Shack FS1 Field Strength Meter/SWR Bridge, which used to
be $9.95, back in the day. I understand that these are now very hard to
find, and I am not sure what folks are using on SOLAS Inspected vessels
these days. Maybe Lynn knows.....

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @