Jere Lull

Default A/B Switch

In article ,
" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT comREMOVETHIS wrote:

I am putting in a 2nd battery on my boat and will need an A/B switch.

Is the field disconnect one (such as this one
http://tinyurl.com/pa9hn ) always the way to go, or is the one that
is $10 cheaper (but lacking field disconnect) a better option? I do
not switch to the other battery while under power.....never have and
do not plan to now. The switch will also not be out in the open for
anyone to fool with.

So save the $10 bucks or get the higher priced one?

How 'bout a third option: Starting battery directly connected to the
engine, the house battery connected to the first through an on/off
switch. Turn it on when the engine is on, off otherwise; no way to cook
the alternator.

We have a small solar cell to charge the house bank. It works well
enough that we almost never have to start simply to charge.

--
Jere Lull