Bill Kiene

Default 1958 Mercury 700 question,,

The Mercury outboards where always more of the fast motors when I was
growing up and the Evinrude/Johnson where the fishing or 'work horse'
motors.

Some say that Merc under rated their motors so they were always faster?

Your 70hp Evinrude was a very popular mid-size motor for sport fishing and
for smaller commercial fishing boats in its day.

Today these high tech 2 strokes and new 4 stroke are quieter and get way
better fuel economy.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Gudmundur" wrote in message
I have aquired a very nice Merc 700 in excellent running condition.
Folks around this town are of the opinion that the 700 6 cylinder
would run circles around my 1981 Evinrude 70hp 3 cylinder. Would you
bother to swap motors? I have all the controls for the 700 so the
swap could be somewhat easy. Did those old 'tall boy' Mercs really
run that much better?

TNX!!