posted to rec.boats.electronics
Hanz

Default Inverters DC to AC Battery help!

I've been running VIA system (CL10000,SP13000) for serval years. I've
been going with M1-ATX ,PW-200v,PW80 and now the M2-ATX. I use the power
to run the mainboard and also my LCD monitor and my LCD/TV. The monitor
and tv like only 12v. I power supply provide 12 with 10-24v input.

I'm now looking at Commell LV-675D Pentium M Mini-ITX. The Intel cpu
will be about 2.0 G.(Intel Pentium M760 2.0GHz Processor - 533MHz 2MB
Cache). I use only standard HD and DVD-r/w, not NOTEBOOK drive.

Hanz

John Weston wrote:
Dennis Pogson, in article WJRYf.6695$8o.1068@newsfe6-
win.ntli.net, says...

There are probably cheap DC-DC converters which can't handle spikes, and
more expensive ones that can. The ones sold here in the UK for around £12
look altogether too simple to me. The one referenced by Hanz looks a
different matter altogether. I don't think the one bad experience I had is
sufficient to condemn all such devices, but a new system board these days is
as expensive as a new laptop, so my caution is understandable.

Running the laptop without the engine/alternator would probably be the
safest bet, but we all know crew members who will, as soon as the speed
drops below 2 knots, press the starter button!

Hanz's one is the one I have on my mini-ITX experimental rig:

http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=10#p1830

It's a full power supply for a mini-ITX motherboard, rather
than a simple DC-DC converter for a laptop.

It handles the drop down to 6V whilst the starter runs (but
the house battery doesn't see this - now...). It also handles
up to 28V, clamping any excess. It shuts down everything after
a preset delay so you aren't left with the few milliamps of
drain with a standard inverter or converter.

Your comment about laptop repair is why I'm looking at the ITX
route to use more standardized components.