Brian D

Default Myth dispelling links...

The Deks Olje will give the wood the same kind of color that varnish would.
Which means, whatever color the wood is before you apply it, it'll turn that
color of wood into that color of wood with varnish ...no hiding. Sounds to
me like you probably have to scrape the varnish and then accept whatever
color you get. You might try an Oxyclean mix scrubbed into it and let soak.
Chlorine seems to be harder on the wood. I'm sure some chemist can tell us
why. The Deks Olje will go onto anything, but will not soak into hard
varnish, but soaks into the wood pretty well. I put it on the deck of a
boat once and let it go for 5 years (all outdoor exposure, mostly on the
trailer though) before retreating and it kept the wood new looking all
along. I was impressed. I also liked the Deks Olje varnish-like color and
the fact that it allowed the wood to keep its natural non-slip qualities
(unlike shiny hard varnish wet with spray). The Deks Olje wood stayed
non-slip even when wet. No affiliation. I just liked the product.

Can you experiment on a hidden area first? Then commit the rest of the job?

Brian D

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Maybe you can help with a question I asked here a while ago and never got
a good answer. My teak all has heavy coats of varnish that is now chipped
and cracking so it needs to come off. It's quite orange and now I know
why.

Questions:

Can I scrape it and use Decks Olje or similar oil successfully? I'd
rather put something on with a rag more often than get out masking tape
and brushes less often. (You use brushes for the first coats, right?)

If I help the process along with a stripper, will I have problems with the
Decks Olje?

I ask because the teak I did scrape and revarnish didn't look like teak
because of varnish left in the grain. I don't want to remove enough wood
to get below that.

It's funny. I couldn't get straight answers to these questions in the
Wooden Boat Magazine forum either.

BTW I'm not compulsive about appearance. Our boat is like a very
attractive 60 year old woman. I just want the teak to look cared for; not
new.

--

Roger Long