Ryk

Default Jib sheet bowlines revisited

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 02:14:02 GMT, in message

"Roger Long" wrote:

OTOH, if half the stretch (1.5% vs. 3% at 15% load) would save having
to uncleat and do a half crank after full load comes on the sheet
after each tack, there could be less wear and tear on the hands in the
close in daysailing we do a lot of. That difference works out to just
about the amount of sheet I often find myself sweating in shortly
after each tack.

Keep in mind that some of that stretch under load is in your sail and
in your forestay sag, not to mention the line setting up on the winch.
There may not be a lot of improvement by going to low stretch lines if
you are still flying Dacron sails. On my 35 with a 135 genoa the
length of the sheet to the winch close hauled is less than 8 feet.
1.5% of eight feet is about an inch and a half. If the problem is
bigger than an inch and a half, then you may have to look elsewhere
for a solution.

As an alternative, consider sailing low and loose while cruising, as
much as that goes against the grain. You'll make up in speed a lot of
what you lose in point, and you will probably not notice the VMG
difference in any practical way. I find it a lot more relaxing to sail
a few degrees lower while cruising.

Ryk