Default Jib sheet bowlines revisited

Roger Long wrote:
OTOH, if half the stretch (1.5% vs. 3% at 15% load) would save having
to uncleat and do a half crank after full load comes on the sheet
after each tack, there could be less wear and tear on the hands in the
close in daysailing we do a lot of. That difference works out to just
about the amount of sheet I often find myself sweating in shortly
after each tack.

I think you're thinking too much! It's actually good form to let
the boat come up to speed before taking in that last bit of sheet.
It's nice to have a self tailing winch for the tweaking. As a datum, on
my 42 foot catamaran I use double braid dacron for my jib sheets and
don't find the strech to be an issue even though we're doing ocean
voyaging and putting huge loads on them. I like having a bit of give
in them and I don't wear gloves. I use spectra sheets and guys on my
mast-head ace because I don't want any give in the guys and want light
sheets. I use bowlines on the jib and spin sheets and a spikable
shackle on the guys.

But, I don't think that you will have any problems with ssx for jib
sheets and bowlines should work okay in the stuff.

Good luck, GO SAILING!

-- Tom.