DSK

Default New Jersey operator licensing

wrote:
What is the downside of this? I'm all for it.

Well, sure. You're already stuck having to take classs and
get a license.

.... Us PWC'ers have been the first segment of boating to be
subject to mandatory education requirements over the last five or six
years or so, we have been all for it from the beginning,

Not all PWCers are "all for it" and there are still a lot of
jetski drivers who operate their boats dangerously &
offensively. Some do it even after taking classes & getting
licensed, seems like they consider it part of the fun.

The reason why PWC's were the first to be regulated & to
have a license required was due to the large number of
incidents wherein PWC drivers injured others. Injuring
yourself is not the state's business IMHO.

.... it seems to me that it would suggest
that it's not really any additional burden for sailors because they're
probably getting educated and trained before they hit the water anyway.

Yeah, let's just go ahead and have the gov't burden them
with classes & licensing req'ments etc etc, after all they
can't possibly harm anybody else at 5 knots. And you don't
want people to get the idea that it's a free country.

DSK