Roger Long

Default Drive alignment (was) Drive Saver/Spacer users sought

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at gmail dotcom wrote

It was just a cup wire wheel. Does that change your thinking?

I was assuming that this is a boat you haven't run before but that's a
point worth checking on my part. If it was smooth before, than the
risk is less of leaving it as it is. If you don't have any operation
history, I would sure want to pull it myself. Wire wheeling shouldn't
have taken that much off.

Just remember that the tiny angular misalignment at the shaft is
magnified at the shaft end by the ratio of the coupling diameter to
the shaft length. Even though a Drivesaver will pick up some of that,
it's hard enough to transmit the remaining impulses through to the
transmission and stern bearing. Pick up the disk in your hand, think
of the force to push one edge down even a few thousandths of an inch
and then imagine that being exerted on your engine and shaft
00 -1000 times per minute.

You said you got the point but I can't resist saying: Smooth is good.
Imagine motoring 12 -18 hours to beat the weather and having to run a
very challenging and complex inlet. Vibration and noise fatigue can
be more than just a comfort issue.

--

Roger Long