Gary

Default New Jersey operator licensing

Roger Long wrote:

In the plane, I'm talking to a guy constantly who is looking at the
radar and advising my of the location of any traffic within about 10
miles, even the stuff that I could never hit but which might just
worry and distract me if I saw it. In the boat, I'm trying to be
psychic and figure out by their behavior which of the yahoos in 30
plus foot fast power boats actually know the right of way rules and
are sober enough see my boat. Meanwhile, I'm trying to navigate, keep
kids fingers from running around winches and into blocks, heads below
boom level, short tack and steer a quick turning boat with a big
Genoa while avoiding lobster pots, navigation buoys, anchored
fisherman, and other boats.

Again, I'm curious. Are you a pilot?

An interesting discussion Roger. I'm not a pilot. I always assumed
that flying was more dangerous than sailing but I get your point.
Flying really is quite safe. I think it would be interesting to see
what the insurance folks think. How many folks are killed/injured and
how many liability claims are made regarding boating compared to flying?
The fact that flying is closely regulated is what makes it very safe.
Boating, being very unregulated, is probably a bigger risk for
insurers. It is probably the insurers who will ultimately drive
licensing because eventually they won't insure unlicensed boaters.

Gary