Jeff

Default A/B Switch

JimH wrote:
"Dennis Gibbons" wrote in message

$10?
You are trying to save $10?
Are you sure you want to own a boat?

It is because I want to save the $10 that I am able to enjoy owning a boat
and my cars free and clear with the help from the bank.

If there is no clear advantage to spending the extra $10 then I wonder why
bother spening it.

Please address the question.

Thanks

The purpose of the field disconnect is allow you to start the engine
with a starting battery and then switch to "both" to charge. If you
had a dead house bank, it would compromise the ability to start in
"both," but without the field disconnect you don't want to switch
over. The best solution is to start, and warm up the engine on one
battery, then stop it, switch to both, and restart. I'd pay 10 bucks
to avoid that.

If, however, you are the sort of person who never makes a mistake, and
would never have a dead battery, then you don't need a switch or even
a second battery.

As I've said before, a battery combiner ($55+) or an EchoCharge
($120+) type device is a vastly superior solution. The "Big Red
Switch" is archaic.