Joe Blizzard

Default alpha drive shift cable replacement

"mike hicks" wrote
So, it looks like I'm going to have to
change the shift cable on my Alpha drive.
How much cursing and unhappiness am I facing here?

I just replaced mine in conjunction with bellows and gimbal bearing
replacement. You don't need any rocket science, just a lot of patience with
parts that are awkward to access. The most difficult thing for me was
getting the crimp clamp on the end of the cable bellows squeezed into a
reasonably round shape. (There's probably a special tool for this
somewhere.) The adjustment isn't really complicated, it just takes some
going back and forth to zero in on the correct spot. This is a good outline
of the replacement procedu http://www.mercstuff.com/shiftcable2.htm