Don White

Default Outboard repower

RCE wrote:
My nephew stopped by today to tell me his tale of woe. He bought a certain
type of used boat a couple of years ago that is powered by a 175 hp "Force"
engine. The engine overheats, despite the replacement of impellers, etc.,
and the boat/engine repair place that he took it too won't even look at it.
Cites cracked block as the probable problem.

They have recommended he buy a refurbished engine .... brand unknown, except
they happen to have a couple that they have "it stock". One is a 200 hp,
the other is a 225 hp. My nephew seems to think they are a reputable dealer
and know what they are talking about.

My nephew asked me my opinion. I asked him what the USCG nameplate said as
the maximum horsepower for this boat was. Answer: 175 HP. I asked him if
the dealer trying to sell him the new motor knew this and he said, yes, but
the dealer said the boat will take a bigger engine, no problem.

I hated to burst his bubble, but advised against this. I could tell by his
reaction that his mind is set and he's going to do it anyway.

So, am I going to be the old fashioned fool?

RCE

I believe in 'playing it safe'.
In fact, I'd probably go a size down a lot quicker than moving up.
Canucks don't usually have that surreal fascination with power that
seems common south of the border..