Henry Blackmoore

Default Fish for Tuna in Gulf

In article , "Habda" wrote:

Point taken.

I wouldn't consider going out quite that far in my 18' boat. I was just
interested in fishing for Tuna because I heard that they are quite exciting!
I know that I like to eat Tuna too

I appreciate everyone's comments on this, as I now know more than I did
before

Try some of the party boats to get a feel for what it takes.

Here is a pretty informative site for what you are seeking.

http://www.americaoutdoors.com/fishi...fg/tuna_1.html

I have caught blackfin tuna just 50 to 60 miles out of Freeport TX.
If you wait until the fall when the water generally settles down and
you are careful and prepared you can make the trip in your boat.

From my experiences most of the tuna caught near Texas are
blackfins which are smaller relatives of the yellowfin. Most Texas
blackfins range from about 13-25 lbs or so. You usually find
blackfin in schools, LOTS of em'. Last time that I ran into them
I found em' under a huge flock of birds.

When you party boat fish you usually catch blackfins around distant
oil rigs late at night.

I useDiamond Jigs a lot to catch em' but everybody is different.
I have friends that use ribbon fish and cigar minnows.

Yellow fin are a lot less common around Texas and you have to
get to the 100 fathom curve off of Freeport to get at them.

Like another poster suggested, Venice Louisiana is an awesome
place to go fishing for tuna! You have thousand foot deep tuna
action less than 25 miles from shore!

Cheers!