JIMinFL

Default 1989 Sea Ray 220 - help please?

It is not practical to FWC an engine that old due to the rust and scale
already built up on the interior passages and block. The engines are on
borrowed time already. I'd go with whichever boat appears better cared for
and plan on replacing the engine later on. You can add FWC to the new
engine.
Jim
"Jason Burns" wrote in message
Thanks All,

If I made an offer there would be subject to three conditions.
1. Boat Survey
2. Engine/Sterndrive survey
3. Sea trials

I take your points on the 5 litre - I'm guessing that it's the old story
of
" a bigger engine has to work less hard to achieve the crusing speed than
the smaller engine". My brothers Jaguar 4 litre has the same mpg as the
3.2.

Sal****er - on this side of the pond (Ireland and the UK) Fresh water
cooling on older boats is fairly unusual, at least on any of the boats
I've
ever come accross. But in this case, as it's a petrol and my main source
of
propulsion, I'd prefer it to be fresh-water cooled.

So the 5 litre boat would have similar economy (if that isn't a
contradiction in terms!) to a 4.3. The 5 litre boat wold cost me the Fresh
water cooling kit, trailer, the Camper Cover (once I got tired of hitting
my
head), a Heater, GPS, Depth and VHF. It all adds up.

The 4.3 would cost me a cooling kit ( a new engine sooner), trailer and
the
transport from the east coast of the UK to where I live.

Hmmm.

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On 30 Mar 2006 03:02:20 -0800, "JasonB"
wrote:

Hi all,

I have found two 1989 Sea Ray 220 DA boats that are pretty much the
same price (within budget) and thay pass the other test which is that
the Admiral likes the look of them. Let's not talk about the ones I
actually like..... Anyway, they look nice, tick all the boxes for the
family, and are clean. One has a 5 litre engine and not much in the
way of equipment - the other has a camper cover that caters for my 6ft
height (How can they produce camper covers that don't?), all the
electronic toys but the engine is a 4.3 that has been used in the sea
for at least the last three years.

So ..... is there anywhere where I could find reviews both of when they
were new and/or secondhand?
What weight were/are they? I want to get a trailer. All the ads have
different(1800Kg to 2400Kg) weights. Is there any website that would
have those kind of details? I haven't found any yet.
What about the engines? one is the Merc 4.3LX the other a 5.0 V8.
Fit a Fresh water cooling kit? I'd be using them in Sal****er.

Thanks in advance for all responses,

J.

Like the others, I'd go with the 5.0 V-8....... HOWEVER, before you
commit to anything, get a price on adding fresh water cooling and the
camper cover. The price of adding those features might be a deal
breaker.....