posted to rec.boats.building,rec.boats

Default Pontoon boats. Aluminum tube? or Steel?

I've been getting realy interested in a pontoon boat. WOW! are they
expensive!, but the used market, especially in off-season isn't too
bad.

I've been looking for at 25-28 ft. pontoons, and jsut passed a fairly
nice Tracker for $4800.00

(Not the dollar late, but the day short. OK, now theres an equally nice
28 ft STEEL pontoon boat with a 75 horse Evinrude (The previous Tracker
had a 35 horse Chrysler) for about a thousand less.

The steel, I know would be heavier, and probably lose some handling
capacity.

I suppose what I'm actually asking is a STEEL pontoon boat actually
worth it? or should I forget the cost and go strictly ALUMINUM tube
construction?

I imagine I'm answering my own quesiton, by seeing aluminum pontoon
boats are far outnumbering steel.

Another thing I'd like to know, is why arn't pontoon tubes made from
durable PVC construction? weight? cost? environmental?

just curious.

THANKS!
Tim