posted to rec.boats.building
Chris

Default bottom coat

Thanks Ron, your information is superb.

As it was warm enough today I just took off the cover on the boat to inspect
how it made it through the winter, and I examined the hull. Given a few
spots where it obviously struck something, rocks, etc over the years, I can
see that it has got to be gelcoat, and definitely not a layer of paint.

I think I may go with doing the repairs with the epoxy, and then putting a
coat of epoxy over the whole darn thing to seal it up. You're right, as it
isn't porous, it shouldn't use too much. but is still far better than
something else for protection.

The paint I end up using will then have to serve the role of paint and
nothing more.

"Ron Magen" wrote in message
Chris,

First - in speaking about 'protection' DON'T 'think cheap'. YES - shopping
&
researching for the best deal and a product specific to the task is
prudent.

There are products SPECIFICALLY designed for 'Barrier Coats'. These are
'task specific'. While not necessarily cheap, they are less costly then an
equal volume of WEST epoxy. Epoxy - no matter which GOOD brand {I use
RAKA}
is a 'multi-task' item. While I get my epoxy in 3-gallon 'batches' {which
find is a good balance for use & economy} you only have a 16-foot boat and
no 'future plans' for other epoxy uses. With that in mind, also remember
that you are doing repairs, then coating, a relatively 'non-absorbing'
hull.
Rather then having to 'fill the pores' on a wood hull, then saturate the
cloth sheathing, you will only be 'painting on' a couple of coats of
'finish'.

Buying epoxy, or 'barrier coat', or good paint by the single quart is the
most expensive way to do it. If memory serves, good paint and un-filled
epoxy {as a 'finish coat'}will give about 400 sq.ft. per gallon. A 16-ft
waterline with a 5-ft beam is about 120 sq.ft. {While you are doing
whatever
it s that you are doing, I'd add 'striking a waterline' and painting or
taping a 'boot top' to my list.}In this case 'More IS Better' - 3 coats
will
be about 360 sq. ft. You should have more than enough left to do this
after
the repairs. WEST is NOT 'cheap stuff', but readily available. Other
brands
may seem cheaper . . . however, remember to add the shipping for a single
gallon 'kit'.

I'd use the same thinking for the paint topcoat. Typically, the cost of
2-3
individual quarts equals the price of a full gallon. 2 evenly applied
finish
coats should use about a quart apiece. Nobody says you can't give a third
coat . . . especially if the boat will 'live' on the trailer and be
subject
to the abrasion of repeated launch & recovery cycles, as well as
weathering.
I also like to have some 'extra' available for touch-ups and the like. Buy
gallon and 2 or 3 empty quart cans. Do all your work / painting. Decant
the
remainder into the empty cans. Fill COMPLETELY and label, including the
DATE, seal tightly and store up-side down.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"Chris" wrote in message
.. .
SNIP
Based on my use of epoxy before I'd think using the epoxy for a barrier

coat
would be pretty costly wouldn't it? We're talking the same epoxy that I

use
for repair, just without any filler, or mat right - liquid only? How
much
of that would you think would be required? Far less than for general
repairs?
SNIP